Become A Volunteer
All dogs (or other pets) must:
- Be at least (1) year of age
- Spayed or Neutered
- Have an up-to-date - Pet License
- Have an up-to-date – Vaccination Record
- Have an up-to-date – Pet Health Exam & Health Certificate – signed by a Veterinarian
- (Pet Health Exams must be renewed annually; reminders are sent out)
- Pets should be interested in interacting with people and friendly towards other dogs
Once we receive your application, we will send you an Email Invitation to the next available Virtual Orientation Meeting.
The next virtual orientation meeting for potential volunteers will be held on October 9, 2021 at 9:00am. The topics to be covered include:
- Pet & Owner – Meet and Greet
- Pets on Wheels Program Overview
- Application Forms Review
- Submit Background Clearance Form and Application Fee
The one-time application fee of $75.00 covers costs for:
- A background Clearance
- A logo bandanna
- A safety lead/leash
- ID badge and logo tee shirt
Payment is due once you decide to become a volunteer.
With all documents in order, an evaluation of your dog and orientation of a designated care center will be scheduled with a trained evaluator.
Major issues which indicate your pet may not be ready to participate in our program at this time:
- Pulling on the lead
- Persistently sniffing the floor
- Aggression or uncontrolled barking
- Shyness or disinterest
- Any of these issues may lead to a failed evaluation
Upon passing the evaluation, Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale will issue a: A Volunteer Pet Team Approved for Visits Certification – for the Health Care Centers we serve.
Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale is also listed on the AKC Therapy Dog Program for approved sources.
Our program includes liability insurance while on site, quarterly meetings, quarterly newsletters, fund raising public events and an awards program.
For additional information, interested volunteers should contact our office.